Nov 17, 2023
Blagnac, France – Lallemand Specialty Cultures (LSC), is set to participate in the Food Ingredients Europe 2023 exhibition, Hall 4 – Booth #D161. This year, LSC will introduce three new innovations that reflect its commitment to food safety, quality, and sustainability in service to professionals in the dairy and fermented meat industries.
FLAV-ANTAGE® BLB1: Natural innovation for cheese rind, offering intense color and flavor
Lallemand Specialty Cultures (LSC) introduces an innovative solution for washed-rind and smeared-rind cheese producers with FLAV-ANTAGE® BLB1: a carefully selected strain of Brevibacterium aurantiacum from Lallemand’s extensive cell bank. FLAV-ANTAGE® BLB1 represents LSC’s latest innovation meeting specific market demands, providing a natural alternative for vibrant rind color and intense cheese flavor.
• New surface and ripening culture producing brown coloration and robust aromatic compounds
• Clean label: can replace brown colorants like caramel, considered an additive
• Enhances background coloration in combination with other bacteria
This innovation seamlessly integrates into Lallemand Specialty Cultures’ existing FLAV-ANTAGE® Brevibacterium aurantiacum range, offering several advantages:
• Imparts specific rind colors, from creamy white to orange and brown
• Gives distinct surface appearances, from moist and sticky to dry and non-sticky
• Enriches aroma and taste with or without coloration (FLAV-ANTAGE® BLA1 apigmented strain)
FLAV-ANTAGE® LN2: New culture for optimizing blue cheese production
FLAV-ANTAGE® LN2, is an aromatic Leuconostoc mesenteroides culture designed to optimize blue cheese production. It efficiently and robustly opens the curd, allowing optimal blue mold development.
Key Features :
• Controlled gas production: Improved performance ensures regular and uniform openings via optimal and controlled CO2 production throughout the cheese-making process, even towards the end of the season with more challenging sheep’s milk curd.
• Uniform distribution: Not only does this solution offer more openings, but it also ensures uniform distribution, preserving the cheese’s shape.
• Aromatic development: FLAV-ANTAGE® LN2 promotes excellent development and expression of Penicillium roqueforti mold, offering authentic and intense flavor.
Pronounced blue color: Through its effectiveness, FLAV-ANTAGE® LN2 optimally fosters Penicillium roqueforti development, resulting in a more pronounced blue color, enhancing the cheese’s visual appeal.
FLAV-ANTAGE® LN2 is the ideal solution for blue cheese producers seeking enhanced performance and consistent quality in opening their curds. FLAV-ANTAGE® LN2 ensures notable effects, meeting the
expectations of the most discerning blue cheese enthusiasts.
NATURAL ROSE: Innovative Solution for Developing and Stabilizing Color in Charcuterie Products Without Nitrite or Nitrate Additions
A global trend in the food market involves reducing or eliminating preservatives. Concerning nitrates and nitrites, excessive exposure to these substances in our daily diet can pose health risks, prompting ANSES – the French Agency for Food, Environmental, and Occupational Health & Safety, and the European Commission, at an international level, to recommend reducing or eliminating their consumption. To address this public health issue, Lallemand Bio-Ingredients (LBI) and Lallemand Specialty Cultures (LSC), two business units within the Lallemand group, have combined their R&D efforts to create NATURAL ROSE.
NATURAL ROSE allows the development and stabilization of color in fermented and cooked charcuterie without the addition of nitrites and nitrates, thus avoiding the production of nitrosyl compounds that have adverse health effects. This innovation relies on the synergistic use of yeast extracts and selected cultures to provide an alternative to methods using nitrates and nitrites.
Feel free to contact us for further information about our innovative solutions.